Our Happy Family

Our Happy Family
Lance, Caetie, Andersin, Laycie, Masen, & Aubrey

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Oh, the drama that is Kindergarten

In Liberty School District they offer a "Summer Adventure" (summer school) for the month of June. It's has more of a summer camp feeling--fun activities, more laid back. So, we decided to send Andersin to get him ready for the fall. Here is his first day of school:

Good morning sunshine! Ready for your big day?

Start off with a good breakfast



Unfortunately, they have all day Kindergarten here--bus comes at 7:24 a.m. and drops off at 3:17 p.m.. Can you believe it! What a horribly long day--for both of us! I hate it. He hates it. He ended us being a car rider since he struggled with the bus. The bus driver was super ornery and rude. He couldn't handle all her yelling and "angry faces" at the older kids.
He liked his teacher and classmates, but he would just be in tears almost everyday saying, "I just like home better." It broke my heart to see him so homesick and say things like "Mom, I just miss you too much and it makes me have tears." What Lance and I struggled with was finding that thin line between being sensitive and validating his feelings without babying him. We wanted to show him how important it is for us for him to always come to us when he is struggling while still encouraging him to 'toughen up'. He's just so sensitive.
You wouldn't believe how much prayer, fasting, tears, and thought went into trying to help him through this. After getting some great council from my mom, Lance and I developed a game plan. Thankfully, most of our ideas actually worked really well, and although he still didn't like going, he was at least not an emotional wreck. Hopefully fall will prove to be a little easier transition...with a bus driver that doesn't hate children.

2 comments:

Sarah Harward said...

What was your game plan? I'm SO nervous for this fall. Landon has missed the kindergarten cut off (it's Aug 1, and his birthday is Aug 18). We CURRENTLY have 1/2 day kindgergarten, so I was considering putting him in this year (we've already been told that they'd allow him to go since he just barely missed the cut off) for 1/2 day, then maybe full day kindgergarten NEXT year (so he's not always the youngest in his class) But I'm having such a hard time thinking of him being gone from home EVERY day, with people I don't know!! But I do think it would be good for him, since he's never been to pre-school. Oh what to do!! I'm just sick over it!
(p.s. How are you doing? I love reading your blog and feeling like I get a 'little' glimpse into your life. I have such great memories of us doing things in High School and wish we still lived close!)

Crystal said...

Oh man. And I thought life was hard NOW! Well, do give us more detail on what worked. It's a good thing you did this transition thing. I'm sure he'll do great in the fall.