Our Happy Family

Our Happy Family
Lance, Caetie, Andersin, Laycie, Masen, & Aubrey

Friday, April 9, 2010

Attack of the Killer Dandelions!

So, a visit from Bryce and Amy wouldn't be complete without a trip from us to the ER (last time they were here I had my first miscarriage), but this time is was Laycie who was the victim of fate. Here is my sweet little girl at the end of our Fun Run trip.




Here she is about 45 min after we got home:


I had to distract her with pizza while the medicine was trying to kick in, so excuse the sauce on her face. So, what's the story? Here it is:

Laycie drove home with Bryce and Amy from Fun Run, and I took some kids to pick up the pizza. I got home and started dishing out the pizza to the kids; soon I heard some whimpering and it reminded me that Laycie wasn't at the table eating. I found her hiding behind the couch (she hides behind there everyday to 'surprise' Lance when he comes home). She was crying and itching her eyes all while holding a cup full of dandelions. She explained to me that she went outside to pick some dandelions for me (so cute) and put them in a cup of water. She hid behind the couch to surprise me when I came home (even cuter). Her eyes soon began to feel hot and itchy (apparently my daughter is allergic to dandelions--information that would have been helpful earlier) so what should one do when their eyes are burning and itchy? Put water in them, naturally. So poor Laycie, in an effort to cool her itchy eyes down splashed the water from the cup full of dandelions into her eyes. You can only imagine what explosive allergic reaction happens when you put that which what you are allergic to directly onto your eyes. When these pictures were taken it was just her lids that were swelling, but eventually her actual eyeball started to swell. The white of her eyes started to swell over her pupils! At that point Bryce said that we needed to take her in. After a quick call, her pediatrician confirmed we needed to get her in asap. The ER room was full and I was having flashbacks of the awful waiting game I experienced a couple week earlier. Luckily one look at Laycie and they let us right in. Even more lucky the 2 ER docs working that day were the ones in our ward. We got VIP treatment once again. A few steroids and meds later we were released and sent home. Now she takes 2 antihistamines a day and is fine--but what a sad life for a 4 year old to not be able to pick dandelions! (and for a mom too, I always love a good dandelion bouquet.)

5 comments:

Kari Cheney said...

poor thing! how miserable.

Comstock Family said...

Wow that looks like it would have terrified me!!! Luckly everything turned ok!

Crystal said...

Oh how aweful! Poor little thing. :(

The Parents said...

That is sad! I kinda wish we had taken pix of Dan when we went to the U hospital. It was scary! At least we all know at this point what to avoid. Medication can be a good thing, too.
Love you all! :-)

Anonymous said...

This is so sad. She looks so unhappy!