So, I’ve got a bit of Irish heritage in me, so it’s such a wonder that St. Patrick’s day treats us so poorly! Two years ago I found myself in the ER having a 2nd trimester miscarriage on St. Patrick’s Day (which, I may add, is my brother’s b-day too), and this year I found myself again in the ER with Laycie. Not to mention both these events started off our spring breaks. But, we’ll get to all of this in a minute…..
We decided to take our final long trip to the temple before our KC temple is dedicated (only 2 more months!!). We got a hotel for Friday night so I could go that evening, and Lance could go early the next morning. We pulled the kids out of school on Friday and headed to the hotel! It’s always exciting and the kids had so much fun!
Even the car ride there wore Masen out!
There was an indoor pool and hot tub, so we were livin’ it up in Winter Quarters, NE! Laycie had had a bit of a fever all day, but still she just wanted to sit in the hot tub the whole time (which I only let her do in like 5 min increments). I, actually, could finally swallow for the first time in 3 weeks so we ordered in pizza—couldn’t get better!
After coming back from my session, I felt Laycie and she was exceptionally hot. I had fever reducer in my bag so I dosed her up. Then, I started to feel nauseous. But, I assumed it was due to the fact that I downed like 7 pieces of pizza on a stomach that had been living on liquids for almost a month. I spent a good part of the night in the bathroom and unable to sleep. Lance went to his session the next morning and then we headed home. Laycie was getting warmer, and I wasn’t getting any better. The 3 hour drive seemed never-ending! Finally we got home and by that night Laycie’s fever had reached 104 degrees, so we decided to take her in. There is no Urgent Care around, so we had to go to the ER.
Usually I don’t take my kids in for minor things, but I’ve never had a kid with such a high fever! My pediatrician and I talked and recommended I go in. Mostly because if she tested positive for influenza she could get medicine to get over it faster—and I could get a preventative med for my other kids. Well, we were right, it was the flu. We were sent home with 4 prescriptions.
We waited until morning (Sunday) for our pharmacy to open to fill them. Lance stayed at home with Aubrey and a Laycie and (even though I was still sick) I took the boys to the second part of church to teach my lesson. Upon picking up the prescription on the way home, we found out that Tamiflu cost $241 per prescription and our insurance only covered part of it. Yikes!!!
It basically came down to which child we loved the most.
We decided to fill Andersin’s (since his came with the most) and we were able to give Aubrey and Masen both full doses on his. Andersin begged me to get him some, but I told him for that price he could tough it out :) And man did he have to!! The next 8 days of spring break was a dark and awful nightmare. Starting with me that night throwing up, and moving to Andersin, Laycie, Lance, and a little of Masen—he just got a teeny bit sick. All with fevers, chills, vomiting, diarrhea, coughs, everything! It was like nothing I’ve gone through. I’ve never had all of us sick at the same time—except Aubrey. When it was finally done I did 16 loads of laundry and was tempted just to burn our home and start over again.
Can’t wait to see what next year brings :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment