Our Happy Family

Our Happy Family
Lance, Caetie, Andersin, Laycie, Masen, & Aubrey

Friday, February 13, 2009

The Griswold Family Swingset

Well, like I'd mentioned before, one of the things we wanted to work on with my dad was fixing our swingset--and maybe adding to it a bit. Here is a pic of how it looked; not too shabby. It's about 10' high.
Now, for any of you who know my dad , you'll know he is the hardest worker there is. And he doesn't just do things, he does them right. Well, what you might not know is that mixed with all those incredible work ethics and amazing woodworking talent is a bit of a Tim Taylor complex. Go huge or go home. I've known this; so I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised when within a few days my backyard went from this:
to this:




You can see Lance and my dad at the top--keep in mind Lance is 6' 5", just to give you an idea of how big it is. Lance was on vacation that week (I use the work vacation very loosely), so they were out there working all day. They were up at 6:30 a.m., I preyed them in for a 10 min. lunch around noon, then they came in for dinner around 9:00 p.m. Oh, did I mention they temperature was in single digits for pretty much the entire week? My dad and Lance are supermen. It was soo bitter cold!! Unfortunately, we weren't able to finish the project before my dad left, so we have this in our backyard


along with this

with no idea how to get to the finished project!! Lance is back to full-time work, a time-consuming calling and all the realities of real life, so we aren't able to work on it a whole lot. It's a two-person job, so with me watching 3 kids we can only usually tackle it at nights. Actually, Lance has been quite amazing at figuring things out, with the instructions my dad left. But don't worry, my dad didn't leave us high-and-dry; he's coming out in a few weeks to help us finish it up. Have you ever seen anything like it? When it's done it should have 3 towers, 7 slides, 3 ramps, 2 bridges, 2 rockwalls, 2 swings, 2 toddler swings, 1 tire swing, and a bench swing. Anyone want to come and play???

11 comments:

Brit said...

it looks kind like you guys are building "the ark" of playground activities! Are you going to be the neighborhood playground? Looks like tons of fun!

The Wynn Family said...

Wow!!! I am way impressed. First that you have a backyard big enough to fit it! And second I believe that rivals any of our parks around here. Bravo!!

J.Frey said...

Wow! I am speechless! That is better than any park we've been to! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Stacy F said...

wow that is crazy! can i come play?

Sherrie said...

Wow, wow, wow!!! What a fun backyard!!! That is amazing!

Melinda said...

That is so funny!! It's so big!! That's great! They are gonna love it. Looks like fun. Good luck finishing it. Your family is so cute. You should post some "tour" pics of your home for those of us who haven't seen ya. Do you like your neighborhood and ward? We just sold our house and aren't sure if we are going to travel for awhile or just move and buy again. Talk to ya later.

Granny Robin said...

Me! Me! Me! I want to come and play!!! What a dream come true for the entire neighborhood! Yours will definitely be the house where all the kids are hanging out this spring and summer!
I believe I can schedule some time off if you're game. (No pun intended)

I love and miss y'all!

Madre

Lori Garcia said...

Okay, so you weren't exaggerating at ALL! That's awesome! Let us know if you want Rudi (and of course Ethan! Ha!) to come help finish up. We should have a ribbon-cutting ceremony! LOL

Tori said...

WHAT??!! This is amazing!!! What I would have done for something like this when I was little...

Elizabeth said...

Oh my goodness Caetie! This is going to be amazing. Your backyard is going to be a HIT for a long time to come! Thank goodness for helpful parents and hard working hubbies!!!!

Dave said...

I built a pinewood derby once. Well, I didn't really "build" it. I put a nail in the front and it cracked down the middle. I didnt win any races. But I'm pretty sure I'm qualified to build one of these swingsets in my own yard someday.

Very impressive.