Our Happy Family

Our Happy Family
Lance, Caetie, Andersin, Laycie, Masen, & Aubrey

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Worst Fear...

As a mom there are a lot of things that I fear could go wrong....Monday morning one of those things happened. I won't go into all the details (it is kind of hard on me to relive them), so this is the very very condensed version; but I ended up having to frantically call 9-1-1 because Masen had woken up spitting up some thick mucus, which quickly caused him to start choking and eventually stop breathing. The ambulance safely got him to the hospital (I had finally gotten him semi-breathing after much suctioning, hitting on the back, and even more praying) and he was quickly stabilized. They transferred him to Children's Mercy Hospital after the x-rays indicated pneumonia in his lungs. Almost 3 days later we are still here, but hopefully being discharged tonight. What they thought was pneumonia ended up being infected glands in his lungs, which caused thick secretions to build up and block his airway. They have him on meds through his IV that seem to be clearing it. He has been such a good boy through it all and is doing much better. Poor Andersin and Laycie have struggled a bit, especially since they were right there amongst all the commotion Monday morning, but are doing good now. They are just antsy to have Mom and Baby Masen home soon. We have been overwhelmed by the kindness and concern from all our family and friends and have been well taken care of through it all. Here is a little picture diary we've kept:


They poked his arms and legs over a dozen times trying to get an IV in; finally they had to put it in his head! Seeing that did NOT help calm me down. Little did I know that later on that day he'd have 3 of them in his head!




He looked so little in the big bed with all the machines




Luckily they let me hold him and feed him whenever I wanted, but it was sure tricky trying to maneuver around all of his many cords.

Okay, so this next one is really random, but I spend about 20 hours a day here at Children's Mercy and the other 4 with Andersin and Laycie at home. Today when I got back to the hospital I ran over to Masen's bed to say hi and hold him and this is what I saw:

What?! (I'm sure you notice the swelling on the side of his head!!) The nurse quickly came in to tell me that Masen has some "unexplained swelling", but not to be alarmed. Not be alarmed! I leave me kid for a few hours and this is what happens! The doctor has assured me that it is just fluke drainage that will go away, but I'm a little paranoid....


Well, that is the latest for now. I'll fill you all in more tomorrow--hopefully by then I'll be blogging from home and not a hospital.

5 comments:

The Parents said...

Oh my goodness! That last pic is not a happy one. You are all in our prayers and we can come at any time. Just let us know. I sure hope he can come home tomorrow. We love you all so much, Mom

Brit said...

that sounds so scary! You did the right thing though! I sure everything goes okay and that you're doing alright! You're in our prayers!

Unknown said...

Oh wow... I'm so sorry! Glad poor little Masen is doing better, and you're all SOOOO in our prayers!!!

Amy said...

That is just terrifying! I think you handeled it really well though. Hope things are going better now and that the other kids weren't too traumatized. Our prayers are with you.

The Wynn Family said...

Yikes! I hope he gets better soon. If it is not enough to have a new baby, but then have to go to the hospital with him. Keep up the positive attitude.