Our Happy Family

Our Happy Family
Lance, Caetie, Andersin, Laycie, Masen, & Aubrey

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Mr. Mom....Jr.

So, this morning during breakfast I was reading the paper at the table with the kids when I started making some random raspberry noise with my mouth. Laycie looked up and said "Mom, don't make that noise anymore, I don't like it." I instinctively frowned--after getting in trouble by my 2-year old--but didn't really care. Andersin, on the other hand, mistook my reactive-frown for genuine hurt feelings and quickly came to my aid by parenting Laycie. He looked at Laycie and said:
A: Laycie, you can never do that! That's one of the 11 things I told you about. Do you remember the 11 things?
L: Yes
A: What are they?
(me, in my mind): Good question, what are they?
L: I dunno
A: Well, you told me you remembered them, so what are they?
L: no reply
A: Ugh, I'll tell you this one last time:
1. If I like things, you need to like them too
2. If you make a mess, you shouldn't laugh
(at this point I'm quickly scrambling for a pen a paper, knowing this will be good)
3. We don't let Masen die (um..okay, random...and a bit freaky, but a good rule)
4. We don't stick on stickers by ourselves
5. Don't hit people in the arm, leg or face
(keep in mind that Laycie during this whole thing is absentmindedly eating her cereal, having no idea a stern reprimanding is taking place)
6. We don't say 'no they're mine' about Masen's toys
7. We can't hug Mom too tight (I'm guessing some flashback of when I was really pregnant)
8. We can't knock every Halloween decoration down
9. You can't say 'I'm Masen' because you're not Laycie; you're different
10. You shouldn't pretend to be licking people
and 11. Don't just turn the lights on and off when Dad is fixing the lightbulb (good advice).

Upon finishing his monologue, Andersin seemed put-out by the whole conversation and huffed his way down from the table. It's always nice to have someone around to keep Laycie in line with completely random, abstract, and confusing rules :o)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, he is too funny!!! "We don't Masen die..." What a great kiddo! :-)

Sarah Harward said...

Too funny! I read them to my husband and we had a good laugh! Quite the caretaker!

Sherrie said...

That was so FUNNY!!! I miss having that little boy around! :) I can hardly wait to let Andy read this one. :)

J.Frey said...

That is hilarious! I can't believe he really had 11 rules...like he has them written down somewhere. So funny!

Crystal said...

I'm dying . . . that's the funniest thing I've ever heard.

Unknown said...

That is HILARIOUS! Its good you were able to write it all down. What a funny kid!

The Wynn Family said...

He just makes us laugh!

Comstock Family said...

That is completely adorable!! i loved it!!

Granny Robin said...

Andersin, you are a wonderful big brother!!! You know you're going to have to stay on your toes as Masen gets older. You may have to come up with... oh, I don't know... maybe up to 20 rules by the time he's Laycie's age. But I know you can keep them both safe and happy. They're lucky you were born first.

Carter Family said...

So hurting Moms feeling wasn't really one of the 11 Rules. That was a funny blog though. Bryce

Elizabeth said...

Caetie...this is seriously hilarious. I am dying laughing right now. You've made some real characters! :)